Monday 22 October 2012

One-To-One with CAROLINE HARDMAN

My first one to one session was with Caroline Harman, and I have to say I was really impressed.  She must be a great agent.

Considering this was only 10 minutes... you did not have a lot of time to gush over writing... and she only read the first 3000 words.

Overall, I was very happy.  She thought my writing had real potential.  She gave me a few tips and thought I should tweak my dialogue slightly... other than that no bad views. 

Shocking!

In a way, I wish I had more to say but I don't I was stumped...

Vanessa :) xx

CAROLINE HARDMAN has now founded...

Hardman & Swainson



Nice website... http://www.hardmanswainson.com/about.html

Before founding Hardman & Swainson I was an agent at the Christopher Little Literary Agency and The Marsh Agency, where I also specialized in translation rights. I have an excellent understanding of global trade publishing and have had the honour of selling rights on behalf of bestselling and prize-winning authors such as Kate Atkinson, Iain Banks, Bill Bryson, Linwood Barclay, Meg Cabot, Vikram Seth, Jonathan Safran Foer, and Jonathan Lethem.  Before The Marsh Agency, I was a bookseller for Waterstones for a short time following university. I have a 1st class BA and an MA in English Literature from the University of Leeds.

Nothing excites me more than discovering new talent. I'm interested in accessible literary fiction, from dark, moving and emotional novels to warm and cozy – great writing in all its guises, but nothing too rarefied. I'm also interested in quality commercial fiction, particularly the elusive book group novel, upmarket women's fiction and I'm on the lookout for crime and thrillers – I'd love to find the next Sophie Hannah. Whether it's literary or genre fiction, I look for strong writing, great characterization and originality. I like to be challenged, surprised, moved to tears or on the edge of my seat by the novels I read.

As I grew up reading Sweet Valley High, Judy Blume, and the Point Horror books (not to mention adult novels with mass-market appeal like Virginia Andrews and Maeve Binchy), I enjoy YA and crossover fiction and would like to add more authors in that area to my list.

In non-fiction, I enjoy memoirs (particularly confessional memoirs by women), and well-written, subject-driven, narrative non-fiction in general. I'm always looking for popular science, philosophy and psychology, particularly when written by experts in their field. As a health and yoga fanatic, I'm also interested in any books with an emphasis on food, health, the mind and the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment